Wednesday, April 19, 2017

This post is for Felicity, a Black and White Short Haired Cat - All White Chest - Missing in Belmont

I am doing this post for my friend Jolynn, who lost her cat, Felicity.  She is a short haired tuxie with an all-white chest. She was a little skittish when JoLynn had her, but she was an indoor cat.

Felicity has actually been missing for a few years. I believe there is a good chance she could still be wandering in the area, possibly being fed by someone in the Belmont / Redwood City / San Carlos area. I really think if more people knew she was missing, she'd have been found by now.

I really admire the fact that Jolynn has never given up on finding her. A lot of people would have given up by now, but Jolynn continues searching, despite the fact that she's been told by some friends and family members that she should just give up the search.

I would NEVER tell someone to give up on searching for a lost pet. You wouldn't give up on a lost child, would you? I know from experience that when a cat goes missing, it is utterly devastating.  You feel responsible for their welfare, just like you would with a child, and you can find it hard to sleep at night, not knowing what happened to them.

I've lost 2 different cats in my lifetime. I eventually found both of them (after lots of work to search for them), and know how lucky I was.  If I hadn't found them, I'd still be looking for them.

I want to encourage every pet owner to make SURE you have a microchip and collar, because even a cat that has NEVER wandered before, can wind up missing, and when that happens, you can suddenly find yourself thinking, "I'd give anything to turn back time so I could have gotten a microchip."  Many places, like Pet Food Express in Redwood City, offer low cost microchipping on weekends.

It suddenly occurred to me that my cat could be anywhere within a 50 mile radius, and without a microchip, it could be just about impossible to find him (either that or I'd have to call every shelter in the bay area, several times a week). Cats can crawl under cars and suddenly get transported to a completely different area. This happened to my neighbor's cat the ONE time she snuck outside, and she lost a good part of her tail in the process. Thankfully, she had a microchip, but without one, she easily could still be lost.

You can see a picture of Felicity's poster on LostMyKitty.com, below, and a larger (PDF) version, HERE.  If you can possibly keep an eye out for her, it would be much appreciated.  I imagine she shouldn't be too hard to recognize given that she has an all white chest.   Jolynn's number is 650-576-8745.  Thank you in advance if you can help.


Yes I do realize that Felicity may not be found, but I really do believe you just can't lose hope. Like Andy said in the Shawshank Redemption... hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things : )



No comments:

Post a Comment