Wednesday, October 9, 2019

If your cat develops kidney issues.... this is what someone told me about

UPDATE 11/30/21:

This is what I'm going to try for my cat, Bert, who's developed some kidney issues over the last year. A friend gave me Purina ProPlan, which was left over after her elderly kitty passed away. But at about $85 per case I can't really afford it right now, so I'm going to try the brands below, which seem to have good reviews. Bert does eat the ProPlan, but I have to mix it up with water into a paste, first. 


All my cats seem to like Purina ONE dry food - they usually get the salmon type. But I'm going to try this kind now. 

Purina ONE Urinary Tract Health Formula Adult Premium Cat Food - (1) 16 lb. Bag (178641)

 


There was this really good review for the Purina ProPlan, where the reviewer mentioned these flakes (posted further down), so I'm going to try them. 

Reviewed in the United States on January 12, 2020

Style: Senior 11+Color: Salmon & Tuna - Senior 11+Size: 3 Ounce (Pack of 24)Verified Purchase
This is the story of my starving cat.
My poor 19 year old kitty.
The vet said she was dying.
She stopped eating and only slept.
I accepted that.
Then one night I realized she was starving, in my house full of food.
I went on a cat food buying spree.
She would not eat the $65 a case food from the vet.
She would not eat this Pro Plan senior food.
A coworker suggested some "sprinkles" for cats who won't eat. It is Catmandoo bonita flakes.
I put it on a variety of foods, wet and dry.
FINALLY she ate a little of Friskies canned food, the kind with "gravy". With sprinkles.
She ate a little more every week.
Soon I saw her eating out of her dry Pro Plan cat food bag. Not from her dish, from the bag lying in its side. I have switched to dry Pro Plan kitten food. It is nearly the same, with more calories.
Now she is up and around, not like a young cat, but alert, demanding and noticeably heavier. She is even getting a little affectionate.
She has 1/4 can friskies wet on a plate, pro plan dry in a bowl, and pro plan dry from a bag on its side. I still throw out most of the wet food, but she sure likes the "gravy".
She will be 20 in a month.
Hooray For Emily.

Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Treats for Dogs & Cats - All Natural High Protein Flakes - 4oz. / 112g Bag



Purina Pro Plan Senior Pate Wet Cat Food, PRIME PLUS Chicken & Beef Entree - (24) 3 oz. Pull-Top Cans


 



8/21/20


I have to amend this post, since I think I've found something even better than the stuff this original post is about (but I'll keep it below, if you want to read it... just keep in mind that pepcid is an acid reducer, and your cat MAY need acid to properly digest food. Acid blockers can cause liver problems in humans, so just use with caution if you're going to use Pepcid.

But I really think this is a better option.

One of my cats, Booboo, has developed kidney issues, and drinks a LOT of water.  I was worried, because his mother AND brother died from kidney failure. One day, they just stopped eating (different occasions) and they didn't make it much longer after that. I felt so guilty for not doing something about it sooner, but I didn't realize how bad it had gotten, until it was too late. 

Well, yesterday Booboo didn't come for his food like all the other cats, and I kind of panicked. I started searching for a good supplement to give him, and saw an ad that mentioned how, a person who had kidney problems discovered that his gut and microbiome played a HUGE part in kidney disease. 

I actually had probiotics at home (you can see what brand on this page), but hadn't given them to my cats for a while, since I ran out of wet food and would usually mix it in. So, I mixed some up with water, and gave it to my cat in a dropper, and OMG it was like he bounced right back. He started eating and drinking again and had so much more energy. I know he's not totally out of the woods and I need to improve his diet but I was very relieved.   

I also plan to get this for him. The reviews are really good! It's nice to know there are things we can do for our kitties, to keep them from getting kidney disease that's so common in cats.





AminAvast Kidney Support Supplement for Cats and Dogs, 300mg - Promotes and Supports Natural Kidney Function - Supports Health and V










This seems to be a slightly better deal...




From the United States

Reviewed in the United States on July 24, 2019
I ordered this on the day my sweet little geriatric cat was diagnosed with kidney failure. I have lost several cats to kidney disease and am not ready to say good-bye to Little Bit, my solid black tiny little female fur baby. I began giving this to her as soon as it arrived. She does not like the KD food and won’t even nibble on it. She has always been slender. The reason I took her to the vet was due to fear she has a thyroid issue and was very surprised to learn it was her kidneys.
Along with the Epakitin, I also began Kidney Rejivinator, Kidney Restore, Cat Mix, CBD oil and a high calorie booster. I began giving her only distilled water and started heating her food to make it a bit more appetizing. I mix everything in with her food and add as much distilled water as I can. It is important to get as much water into a KD cat as possible. The Epakitin and other supplements are doing their job. little Bit’s bloodwork is either normal or very close to nap. The vet thought I was crazy but is now a believer.
review image
25 people found this helpful
1 comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on February 5, 2015
The last batch of this I ordered was amazing and really did seem to help my kitty, so when I ran out I simply went into my account and "re-ordered" the same item. When it arrived I noticed that container was slightly different but didn't think anything of it and opened it and used it in my kitty's food as normal. Within minutes of eating my cat was drinking water like crazy and then became violently ill. I was terrified and thought I might have to rush him to the emergency vet, but after throwing up several times it seemed as though he'd gotten it out of his system and was feeling better. It was too much of a coincidence so I fished the old empty container out of the trash and compared the formula labels. The formula on this one is different from what I was previously using. And not just a little different but a LOT, as you can see from the picture I've included. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! IS THIS EVEN LEGAL??!! I am grateful my kitty is ok now but I am extremely angry. I'm returning the item for a refund and will be investigating this matter further...
review image
178 people found this helpful
13 comments Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on February 13, 2017
I believe this product and Azodyl have been great for our dog, though I have been using every product out there that has a lot of positive feedback, including products from Five Leaf Pharmacy which has many testimonials that list their name, their dogs name, their vets name and their vets number, those, to me, are credible non scientific testimonials.

Our dog, we were told had a couple days left, was suffering and were urged to put down right then, is still with us active and has a very, very healthy appetite 11 months later. We put her through the 72 hour IV at the vet, began treating her with all the products we found and a homemade diet, our vet hospital is scratching their heads and asking for us to write down the course of treatment that we followed (which includes Epakitin and Azodyl).
48 people found this helpful
3 comments Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 20, 2017
My dog was diagnosed with a high BUN. I went on FB and joined two groups for owners with canine kidney disease. Both groups recommended this along with Azodyl. The Azodyl alone didn't do much but the combination of these two drugs has made a vast improvement in my dog's health. He is acting more normal. He looked like he was on death's door 2 weeks ago. I changed his food to Trippett Green Tripe canned dog food and use these two medications and my dog has made a complete turn around, no thanks to my vet! He will get his blood work checked next week and I am hoping his BUN has decreased.

**** . Update 01/31.2018

My dog i back to his own self. I didn't have follow up blood work because I can tell by his behavior that he is feeling so much better. He is playful, happy and eating normally. This medication is a life saver. I was feeding raw but found that  
Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Chicken, 24-Pound Bag  has .80 phosphorus which is very low for a commercial grade dry dog food along with the Epakitin (mixed with cottage cheese twice a day) is working for my sweet boy. Just because your dog's phosphorus is not elevated does not mean that you don't have to worry about phosphorus. I am lowering my dog's phosphorus which is reducing the toll on his kidneys. This is working for my boy but it might not work for everyone. Just wanted to share what I am doing which has worked for my dog. Best of luck!
25 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on July 17, 2016
This is the 3rd container of 10.6 oz Vetoquinol Epakitin that I have bought on Amazon! The first I purchased from my vet for $55 and it was about 1/3 the size! When I realized how great it worked, I searched Amazon. My senior cat is in kidney failure and we were told he would not last the night. The tests revealed his phosphorus levels were high and when I refused to give up, they offered this as an option. I add it to his wet cat food at least once a day and it makes a huge difference. If I miss a day, he hangs his head low (a sign of high phosphorus) and his limbs have spontaneous nerve responses. He was diagnosed a week before Christmas and we are in mid July and most days you can't tell he's sick! If you have an ailing cat or dog, PLEASE try this for their sakes! ***UPDATE: Years later, I am still using this product. It has prolonged and significantly improved the lives of 3 elderly cats and 1 dog: suffered from kidney, renal, and thyroid diseases. I have received NOTHING for this review, I have ZERO affiliation with this company, I am simply a THRILLED FUR MOMMY! I will never understand why ALL vets don't use this, there are so many lives that could be saved/prolonged COMFORTABLY with it!
21 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on July 30, 2018
I'm writing this review because of the difference it has made in my cat's life. My oldest cat is 17 years old and was diagnosed with kidney disease more than three years ago. The vet originally said he would only live for 3 months.

Epakitin was one of the treatments I found in this book also on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tanyas-Comprehensive-Feline-Chronic-Disease/dp/1469968649

If you have a cat with kidney disease, this book is an invaluable resource, and it will give you hope.

We started giving him Epikatin very soon after his diagnosis because he refused to eat prescription kidney food, but he would eat fancy feast. Fast forward three years and he's still eating fancy feast with his Epikatin "sprinkles." He's doing a lot better with sprinkles and subq fluids.

I you have a cat with kidney disease and they won't eat the prescribed diet, Epakitin is a godsend to help keep phosphorus levels in check.

Best of luck!
8 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on April 1, 2020
I have been using Epakatin along with Azodyl to treat my 17 year old chihuahua for renal failure for over a year now. When we started she wasn’t doing well at all, poor coat condition, occasional vomiting and listless. I feared she would not live much longer. After a year of using these products, though her lab results haven’t changed much, they have not gotten worse. More importantly she is looking and feeling great and I can get her to play like she did as a puppy (though she can’t move like she did as a youngster). It is a remarkable improvement! Also, to aid in her hydration, I turn her dinner into a warm soup by adding a lot of water to puréed food. With this regimen she is living a good quality of life and I expect to have her around for a long while.
4 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on May 26, 2020
Our 12 year old lab started drinking vast amounts of water and was having incontinence issues, after a trip to the vet she was diagnosed with kidney renal failure. The outlook for this is never good and the vet recommended prescription dog food to help her which I refused since I feed her Honest Kitchen which is much higher quality than the SD they wanted to sell me. After some heavy research I placed her on this, Azodyl, kidney support gold and Welactin. Her results and response to these has been amazing. Within a few weeks we noticed her water intake return to normal and at her 3 month check up her blood work was so much better that our vet couldn’t believe the results. Our pups protein levels were back to normal and her blood pressure was also perfect. It’s going on nine months and we will be having a full work up done in the next few weeks to make sure everything is still looking good. Her activity level matches that of her six year old German Shepherd sister. Not sure if her rebound is the result of just one of the supplements we give her or the work of all of them. Either way we are so thankful that she is doing so much better, is not suffering and has so much more quality time to spend with us.
2 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on January 19, 2017
I ordered this too late for two of my cats. The third cat seems to be doing a little better than she has in the last several months. I haven't gone back to the vet yet to see how her blood and urine tests differ from the last time. But I do have to share a story about this company. I sent a message to them shortly after ordering this product. I shared with them that I had lost a cat last spring and was getting ready to lose another one due to kidney failure. I was very surprised a week or so later when I recieved a sympathy card from them about my cat. I'll update after I go to the next vet appointment.
8 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 16, 2019
My 20 year old cat has Kidney disease and after including this life saving powder to his diet, it has improved his condition quite a bit. If your cat has had urinary issues, blockage what not, ask your Vet about this powder. I mix it in for my 5 year old cat too, who is on a kidney diet after having a urinary blockage. IF this powder can help prolong his life as well and prevent further issues, it is something that is worth purchasing. There is no flavor and a little scoop mixed in with the wet food is all it takes. Prevention is the way to go!
2 people found this helpful
Comment Report abuse


Original post:


Years ago, I drove to San Jose to meet a woman I'd met through craigslist's For Sale section - I can't even remember what it is that either I bought from her, or what she bought from me (this was about 15 years ago), but the thing I DO remember is, we got into a long conversation about cats, and cat rescue (as it turns out, there are a lot of people in the bay area who do cat rescue).

This woman told me that her cat had kidney problems, and she'd heard that giving the cat famitodine (which is found in pepcid) can actually help the cat to live a longer life. Normally, I am NOT a fan of acid reducers / acid blockers (in humans, at least, they can prevent nutrient absorption if consumed too much in the long term).  But if I had a cat that was on its last leg, I would consider giving this to the cat, if it made them feel more comfortable, or prolonged their life (At the time I spoke with her, I had a cat with some minor kidney issues). And this woman said she felt that it almost seemed to give her cat a new leg.

I've shared this email with so many people over the years, I thought maybe I should consider posting it here, on this blog. You can see it below.


 (What I've written to friends)
> Hi there,
>
> I just heard this advice about what to do if and
> when a cat ever develops
kidney problems, and thought since 50% of cats seem
> to come down with some
> kind of kidney-type problem eventually in their old
> age, it was worth
> passing on to my friends and family who either have
> had (or want to have) a
> kitty (or are likely to have friends or family with
> kitties!)
>
> You can read the email below, but to give you the
> gist, you take 1/3 to 1/2
> a 10 mg. "Acid Reducer" tablet (like Pepcid - or
> something with Famotidine
> in it). 1/3 for cats around 7 lbs, and 1/2 for
> larger cats.  Crush it and
> mix it in with their food - 50% water and 50% food -
> this encourages the cat
> to drink more water which also helps their kidneys.
> I just saw Janice and
> Dan's cat and she looked pretty good for her age so
> maybe this really works!
>

>
> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:22 PM

> Subject: acid-reducer for cats
>
>
> Janice is off with her mom today so she
> asked me (Dan) to get back
> to you.  And although we might have your phone
> number somewhere, I can't
> find it and it's not in the notes you sent.  Hence
> the e-mail.
>
> The stuff we use is Famotidine (that's the active
> ingredient), sold by
> Long's as "Acid Reducer" in 10-mg pills.  There are
> more expensive brand
> name versions, but Long's is the cheapest.  We cut
> the pills into thirds
> (roughly) and feed one (third) per day.  We smush it
> up in soft cat food
> with some water.  Don't know if your cat needs the
> extra water but it seems
> to help ours.  As for how long to do this, I don't
> know.  We were told our
> cat was on it's last legs and this would make it
> more comfortable.  It seems
> to have given it an extra leg or something because
> we've been doing this for
> 18 months so far and the cat is still going, so we
> will probably do it
> indefinitely.  If your cat has a more definable
> symptom than "on last legs",
> maybe you can stop after the problem goes away.
>
> Dan
>

No comments:

Post a Comment